Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Dance to a Sweet Tune

My mom and I recently started volunteering at the Downtown Women's Center (www.dwcweb.org). DWC is a "nonprofit organization that provides 40,000 meals, 47 permanent supportive housing apartments, and a wide array of health, education and other supportive services to more than 2,000 homeless and very low-income women each year."

The center has a committee called the Birthday Guild. The Guild organizes monthly themed birthday parties for the women living at the center. I LOVE celebrating birthdays. And, of course, my cake making would come in handy for this. My mom is the same way and she's my assistant when I need help with cakes.

The theme for this month's party is dance. Each table has a different dance theme. We're in charge of decorating the salsa table. We also volunteered to make a cake for each table. It's only six cakes and with the help of my mom, we finished those bad boys in record time!

Ballet:

The slippers were a lot harder to make than I expected. It's my least favorite of the bunch, but I'm sure the women will like it.

Ballroom:

I couldn't think of a design for this cake, but then I came across this image on a cake. It's perfect for ballroom.

Country:

Can't go wrong with a cowboy boot!

Hip Hop:

A vinyl record.

Jazz:

A sparkly top hat. It was a little difficult getting the glitter on the sides. My step dad created some sort of slingshot to do it.

Salsa:

A pair of maracas! This is my favorite one.

The birthday party is today! I'm excited for the ladies to see the cakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment